Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Poor Peyton; Seattle Super?

Has it been cold without me? Apologies for the extended holiday hiatus on the part of the Grillmaster. Travel, welcome visits from the Grillmistress, sickness, and more travel all conspired to keep me occupied. And yes, as has been pointed out by many, the fact that I have left a soccer post up for nearly a month is enough to question my American citizenship. Sooo, in a shameless piece of ethno-nationalistic jingoism, Over Hot Coals returns to the self-important blogosphere with a brief post on the NFL. That’s right, real football, baby!

Some claim that the Grillmaster is prone to hyperbole, but reputation be damned, this was the best weekend of football I’ve ever seen. All four games featured exciting big plays, controversial officiating decisions, clutch performances from stars, and HUGE choke jobs from some of the league’s greats. And hey, as a loyal Bawlmoron, it was great to see the Colts go down in flames yet again. It’s a cursed ship Peyton; head for the lifeboats if ye ever want to see the sunny shores of a Super Bowl sideline!


The million dollar question now is obviously who winds up winning this thing. The inconsistent Steelers? The one-dimensional Panthers? The lumberjack led Broncos? No no my friends, the Grillmaster will officially go on the record to predict glorious victory on the part of the who-dat Seattle Seahawks. Why not? This has been one of the stranger NFL seasons I can remember, so why not have a team from the far reaches of our country win the big one. Why not have the NFC win it, in spite of being the far inferior conference once again.

My rationale for this pick (when everybody seems to be jumping on the Steelers bandwagon)? I am thoroughly unconvinced that any of the other three teams is Super Bowl quality. Living on the East coast, I haven’t seen the Seahawks play enough to be disappointed by them. Ain’t league parity grand…

With my Americanism firmly reestablished, I’m on to more substantive posting later this evening. But first, dinner calls.